Environmental knowledge and sensitivity of Senior High School Students
John Mark E. ABILO1 and Joji D. LINAUGO2
1Binalbagan National High School, Binalbagan, Negros Occidental, Philippines
2Department of Education – Division of Negros Occidental, Bacolod City, Philippines
Corresponding author’s email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This descriptive-correlational study aimed at determining the levels of environmental knowledge and sensitivity of senior high school students. The relationship between environmental knowledge and sensitivity was likewise determined. The respondents were the 194 Grade 11 students classified according to their sexes and strands and were selected through stratified proportional random sampling. This study utilized the “Environmental Knowledge Test”, and the “Environmental Sensitivity Questionnaire”. The statistical tools used were mean and standard deviation for descriptive statistics. t-test, Pearson’s r and One-Way Analysis of Variance all set at 0.05 were employed as inferential statistical tools. Findings showed that the students had average level of knowledge and sensitivity. Findings also revealed that there was no significant difference in students’ level of knowledge when grouped according to sex and there is a significant difference when they were grouped according to their strands. A significant difference in the students’ environmental sensitivity was observed when they were grouped according to sex and there was no significant difference in their level of environmental sensitivity when they were grouped according to strands. Furthermore, no significant relationship was found to exist between the students’ environmental knowledge and sensitivity.
Keywords: Science Education, Environment, Knowledge, Sensitivity, Descriptive-correlational design, Central Philippines
- Barrett, B. F. D., & Kuroda, A. (2002). Ecological modernization, environmental knowledge and societal change: Attitude and behaviour of young people in Japan. International research in geographical and environmental education, 11, 237-261. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10382040208667489
- Blair, M. (2008). Community environmental education as a model for effective environmental programmes. Australian Journal of Environmental Education, 24, 45-53.
- Bradley, J. C. et al. (1999). Relationship Between Environmental Knowledge and Environmental Attitude of High School Students. Journal of Environmental Education, Vol. 30.
- Cabuk, B., & Karacaoglu, C. (2003). Investigation of university students’ envıionmental sensitivity, ankara university. Journal of Faculty of Educational Sciences, 36, 1-2.
- Caliskan, M. (2002). Determinants of environmental sensitivity in adults. (Master’s Thesis). Ankara University, Ankara.
- Carleton-Hug, A., & Hug, J. W. (2010). Challenges and opportunities for evaluating environmental education programs. Evaluation and Program Planning, 33(2), 159–164. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2009.07.005
- Cetin, G., Ertepınar, H., & Geban, O. (2004). The effect of conceptual change approach on students’ ecology achievement and attitude towards biology. Hacettepe University Journal of Education, 26, 27-32.
- Chapin, F. S., Power, M. E., Pickett, S. T. a., Freitag, A., Reynolds, J. A., Jackson, R. B., … Bartuska, A. (2011). Earth Stewardship: science for action to sustain the human-earth system. Ecosphere, 2(8), art89. http://doi.org/10.1890/ES11-00166.1
- Cline, Z., et al. (1999). Advances in Confluent Education, Volume 2: Multicultural Dynamics of Culural Change. Retrived: August 10, 2017. available at: http//www.cerd.org/bookseducation02. php
- Creech, H., Buckler, C., Innes, L., & Larochelle, S. (1999). A youth strategy for public outreach on climate change Winnipeg Manitoba. Canada: IISD Business Trust.
- Ehrampoush, M. H., & Moghadam, M. H. (2005). Survey of knowledge, attitude and practice of Yazd University of Medical Sciences students about solid wastes disposal and recycling. Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, 2(2), 26-30.
- Fitzmaurice, R., & Jones, R. (1981). Confluent Activity Cards for Outdoor Education. Science Activities, 18(3), 21–24. Retrieved from http://proxy.library.vcu.edu/login?url=http://search.proquest.com/docview/63 548342?accountid=14780%5Cnhttp://vcu-alma-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup. com/openurl/VCU/vcu_services_page?url_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:journal&genre=article&s
- Francke, A. L., & Erkens, T. (1994). Confluent education: an integrative method for nursing (continuing) education. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 19(2), 354–361. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.1994.tb01092.x
- Kassas, M. (2002). Environmental education: Biodiversity. Environmentalist, 22(4), 345–351. http://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020766914456
- Keles, R. (1997). Environmental, civil, liability. human, environment, and society. Istanbul: Imge Publications.
- Keles, R. (2002). Urbanization Policy. Ankara: Imge Publications.
- Launiala, A. (2009). How much can a KAP survey tell us about people’s knowledge, attitudes and practices? Some observations from medical anthropology research on malaria in pregnancy in Malawi. Anthropology matters journal, 11(1), 1-13.
- Levine, D. S., & Strube, M. J. (2012). Environmental Attitudes, Knowledge, Intentions and Behaviors Among College Students. The Journal of Social Psychology, 152(3), 308–326. http://doi.org/10.1080/00224545.2011.604363
- Liefländer, A. K., & Bogner, F. X. (2014). The Effects of Children’s Age and Sex on Acquiring Pro-Environmental Attitudes Through Environmental Education. The Journal of Environmental Education, 45(2), 105– 117. http://doi.org/10.1080/00958964. 2013.875511
- Oebanda, R. (2009) Unpublished Thesis: Environmental Knowledge and Environment Sensitivity of College Freshmen, Negros Occidental, Philippines.
- Ozbay, S. (2010). Given about composting in science and technology program of the activities on students’ academic success and the influence of environmental attitudes (Master’s Thesis) Canakkale Onsekiz March University, Canakkale.
- Pooley, J.A., & O’connor, M. (2000). Environmental education and attitudes. Environment & Behavior, 32(5). 711724.
- Roto, E. (2014) Unpublished Thesis: Environmental Awareness of High School Students, Negros Occidental, Philippines
- Sama, E. (2003). Teacher candidates’ attitudes toward environmental problems. Journal of Gazi Educational Faculty, 23(29), 99-110.
- Scroll, P., & For, D. (2010). Environmental Education Research. Environmental Education Research, 4622(August 2011), 37–41. http://doi.org/10.1080/1350462022014540
- Sibly, H. (2015). ANU Press, 15(3), 83–91.
- Solomon, D.L. (2000). Confluent Education as a Metaphor. Center for Educational Research and Development Retrieved: August 8, 2017. Available at http//www.cerd.org/bookseducation02. php
- Stevenson, R. B. (2007). Schooling and environmental education: contradictions in purpose and practice. Environmental Education Research, 13(2), 139–153. http://doi.org/10.1080/ 13504620701295726
- Terlević, M., Istenič Starčič, A., & Šubic Kovač, M. (2015). Sustainable spatial development in higher education. Urbani Izziv, 26(1), 105–120. http://doi.org/10.5379/urbani-izziv-en-2015-26-01-004
- Tikka, P. M., Kuitunen, M., & Tyns, S. M. (2000). Effects of educational background on students’ attitudes, activity levels and knowledge concerning the environment. Journal of environmental education, 31(312-19. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00958960009598640
- Tunc-Ozbebek, A., Omur-Akdemir, G., & Duren, A.Z. (2012). Environmental sensitivity. Istanbul University Journal of Political Science, 47, 227-246.
- Turkum, S. (1998). Environmental problems and environmental sensitivity in contemporary society (165-181), (Editor Gurhan Can), Contemporary Human Contemporary Life, Eskisehir: Anadolu University Open Education Faculty Degree Completion Program in Primary Education.
- United Nations. (2016). Sustainable Development GOALS – 17 Goals to transform our world. http://doi.org/ United Nations Development Program (UNDP)
- Vandamme, E. (2009). Concepts and challenges in the use of knowledgeattitude-practice surveys: Literature review. Department of Animal Health. Institute of Tropical Medicine. Antwerp, Belgium.
- Vare, J. W. (1979). Moral Education for the Gifted: a Confluent Model. Gifted Child Quarterly, 23. http://doi.org/10.1177/001698627902300311
- WHO. (2007). Addressing sex and gender in epidemic-prone infectious diseases, 1–46. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publi cations/SexGenderInfectDis.pdf